1. very distressed; 2. insane or not of sound mental health
– When his mother learned that he had failed the course for the second time, she was distraught.
– The distraught man eventually lost all touch with reality and had to be institutionalized.
– Uncertain about their future, the evacuees watched the news with distraught faces.
– The boy’s parents were distraught when he did not come home in time for his curfew.
distressed, disturbed, worried, anxious
to incorporate something into a larger group
– Smaller companies are frequently subsumed into large conglomerates.
– The new computer program is likely to subsume its predecessor.
– The results from the English section of the test will be subsumed into an overall score.
– I recently subsumed yoga into my exercise program.
include, incorporate, embody, involve
exclude, bar, close out