Assay (verb, noun)
(v.) 1. to test or examine something to determine its quality and/or components; 2. to try to do something; (n.) 1. a test or analysis; 2. a sample of the thing to be tested; 3. a written report of the analysis
– Before they could determine whether what they had found was actually gold, they needed to find someone to assay it.
– Before we bought our house, we had the soil assayed to make sure there were no dangerous chemicals in it.
– There are different assays used to measure the amount of chlorine present in water.
– The assayer determined that the water was full of dangerous petrochemicals
(v.) analyze, assess, examine, (n.) report, analysis
germ-free or designed to protect against infection and germs
– I know my dentist’s tools are completely aseptic because after they are sterilized, they are sealed in protective packaging until ready for use.
– An aseptic environment will prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.
– Doctors autoclave their operating tools so that they will be aseptic.
– After summoning help, first aid may be given by applying pressure to the wound with an aseptic bandage.
sterile, sanitary, antiseptic