having great power, influence, or strength
– Donald Trump became the most puissant developer in New York.
– The senator became more puissant when he was appointed chairman of the finance committee.
– I became more puissant at my company when I was promoted to Chief Financial Officer.
– The puissant city mayor abused his power and was indicted on fraud charges.
powerful, strong, influential
1. to scoop or cut out roughly to form something; 2. to carve a hole or groove in something with a sharp tool; 3. to overcharge somebody for goods or services; 4. to injure someone’s eye, especially w/ one’s thumb
– The children used a pocket knife to gouge their names into a plank outside the tree house.
– Mothers tell their children not to run with scissors because they could gouge out their eye.
– The falling boulder gouged a trough into the side of the mountain.
– Taxi drivers in many countries often try to gouge nave tourists.
scrape, scratch, dig, bore, gore, stab,