Factor (noun, verb)
(n.) 1. an element contributing to the result of something; 2. a mathematical quantity multiplied with other numbers, or the amount by which something is multiplied; 3. a person or organization that trades for commission; (v.) 1. to include or exclude as a contributing element; 2. to calculate the factors of a given quantity or expression
– The most important factor in the decision to hire her as the new manager was her past record of success in a similar position.
– There are several factors that you should consider when determining the value of a company.
– Once she factored in variables such as inflation, Lisa found that her salary did not grow much.
part, aspect, facet, element, cause
1. burden, duty, or responsibility; 2. the blame for something; 3. burden of proof
– When the economy is in a recession, many believe the onus is on the President and Congress to pull the country out of it.
– Marc will always bear the onus of having made bad investment decisions and losing most of the family’s retirement savings.
– In court, the onus is on the prosecution to prove guilt.