1. to offset costs or bear an expense; 2. to pay some or all of an expense
– We should be able to defray some of our expenses through money we will receive from our tax refund.
– I’m sure theres a way we can defray our out-of-pocket costs to get this business started; perhaps we can get a small-business loan.
– John’s student loan will defray most of his college tuition.
– Whenever I go on business trips, my company defrays all of the travel expenses, including meals.
pay, settle, compensate
Affiliate (verb, noun)
(v.) 1. to associate with or to receive as a member or participant; 2. to trace the origins of; (n.) a person or group that is associated with, or a member of, another. Affiliate can be used as a verb as well as a noun, denoting a person or organization affiliated with another.
– Joe got his start with the small radio station affiliated with the university.
– The company used t he expo as an opportunity to affiliate with its partners and investors.
– You can earn bonus mileage points when you stay at a hotel that is affiliated with the airline with which you have your frequent flyer program.
– Our new company affiliate can go far in helping us drive traffic to our web site through their members.
associate, connect, merge